MC3 Recorded Education Series: Everyday Parenting Strategies for Helping School-Age Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
To begin this activity, click Enroll. Once logged in, learners can access educational content, assessments, and evaluations. Learners who successfully complete the activity will be able to print a certificate.
There are no relevant financial relationships to disclose for this activity.
Fiona Kathryn Miller, PhD
Erin Hughes-Krieger, MSW
Laura Hurst, MSW
Anne Kramer, MSW
- Identify the challenges that are unique to parenting children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Educate families about parenting strategies that help school-age children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Teach parents strategies for managing anxiety, disengagement, and protest behaviors in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
The University of Michigan Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Michigan Medical School designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.Original Release Date: January 2021
Termination Date: January 2024
- Hallet,V., Mueller,J., and Breese, L., et al., (2021). Introducing 'predictive parenting': A feasibility study of a new group parenting intervention targeting emotional and behavioral difficulties in children with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 51, 232-333.
- Lord, C.E., et al., (2018). Autism spectrum disorder. The Lancet, 392, 508-520.
- Weiss, J.A., Thomson, K., and Burnham Riosa, P. et al., (2018). A randomized wait-list controlled trial of cognitive behavior therapy to improve emotion regulation in children with autism. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 59 (11), 1180-1191.
- Simpson, J., Schneider, M. & Zlomke, K.R. Beyond Autism Severity: the Role of Medical Providers in Parenting/Caregiver Aggravation. Adv Neurodev Disord 5, 183–192 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s41252-021-00194-x
- Winnicott, D.W., (1987). The child, the family, and the outside world. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley Pub. Co.