Injury Prevention for Children and Teens: Module 4 - Transportation Safety
To begin this activity, click Enroll. Once logged in, learners can access educational content, assessments, and evaluations. Learners who successfully complete the activity will be able to print a certificate.
Andrew Hashikawa, M.D.
Phoebe Kulik, MPH, CHES
Anuj Pradhan, PhD
Elizabeth Mott, RN
Matthew Paul Reed, PhD
Michelle Macy, MD
Rick Neitzel, PhD, Certified Industrial Hygienist
Jean Thatcher Shope, MPH, PhD, RN, BSN
Beth Costello, MBA
Disclosure: There are no relevant financial relationships to disclose for this activity.
- Describe the epidemiology of child passenger injuries
- Differentiate the types of properly installed child passenger restraint systems and be able to incorporate into practice
- Summarize goals of child passenger securement from the perspective of injury biomechanics
- Describe the epidemiology of teen driver crashes
- Identify risk factors for bicycle/car crashes
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of Michigan Medical School and University of Michigan Injury Prevention Center. The University of Michigan Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Michigan Medical School designates this enduring material for a maximum of 3.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Infant/Child Passenger Safety
- Durbin DR, Hoffman BD, Committee on Injury, Violence, and Poison Prevention. Child Passenger Safety. Pediatrics. 2018;142(5):e20182460; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-2460.
- Simons-Morton BG, Klauer SG, Ouimet MC, et al. Naturalistic Teenage Driving Study: Findings and Lessons Learned. Journal of Safety Research. 2015;54:41–44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2015.06.010.
- Ouimet MC, Pradhan AK, Brooks-Russell A, et al. Young Drivers and Their Passengers: A Systematic Review of Epidemiological Studies on Crash Risk J Adolesc Health. 2015;57(1 Suppl):S24-35.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2015.03.010.
Vulnerable Road Users
- Constant A, Lagarde E. Protecting Vulnerable Road Users from Injury. PLoS Med. 2010 Mar 30;7(3):e1000228.
- Scholliers J, Van Noort M, Johansson C, et al. Impact Assessment of Its Applications for Vulnerable Road Users. Transportation research procedia. 2016 Jan 1;14:4515-24.