General Medicine Clinical Conference - Bariatric Surgery
To begin this activity, click Enroll. Once logged in, learners can access educational content, assessments, and evaluations. Learners who successfully complete the activity will be able to print a certificate.
Educational Planning Team
- Educational Planner: Lindsay Lindsay Quade, MD
- Presenter: Nabeel Obeid, MD
- Activity Coordinator: Mary Smith, Master's of Science in Healthcare Management
There are no relevant financial relationships to disclose for this activity.
After completing this activity participants will be able to appropriately provide bariatric surgery options to further assist their patients who have obesity, weight concerns, and common side effects due to the higher BMI and the excess weight.
The University of Michigan Medical School is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Michigan Medical School designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s) ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Dadson P, Landini L, Helmiö M, Hannukainen JC, Immonen H, Honka MJ, Bucci M, Savisto N, Soinio M, Salminen P, Parkkola R, Pihlajamäki J, Iozzo P, Ferrannini E, Nuutila P. Effect of Bariatric Surgery on Adipose Tissue Glucose Metabolism in Different Depots in Patients With or Without Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2016 Feb;39(2):292-9.
- Christou NV, Sampalis JS, Liberman M. Surgery Decreases Long-Term Mortality, Morbidity, and health Care Use in Morbidly Obese Patients. Annals of Surgery 2004, Vol. 240, No. 3, pp. 416-424
- Adams TD, et al. Long-Term Mortality after Gastric Bypass Surgery. New England Journal of Medicine 2007:357:753-761.
- Cremieux PY, Buchwald H, et al. A Study on the Economic Impact of Bariatric Surgery. The American Journal of Managed Care 2008, 14, No. 9, pp. 589-596
- Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) Consortium, Flum DR, Belle SH, King WC, Wahed AS, Berk P, Chapman W, Pories W, Courcoulas